Plumber given fine & community order after claiming to be Gas Safe
This post has already been read 2374 times!
A plumber has been fined and given community order after carrying out gas work on numerous properties in the Cardiff area whilst falsely claiming to be gas safe registered.
Cardiff Crown Court heard how, between September 2016 and March 2018, Jordan Louis Hare carried out gas work at four domestic premises in Cardiff and Crosskeys, but did not hold the necessary registration to carry out this work. Mr Hare installed gas boilers along with other work at the premises in Cardiff and carried out modifications to gas pipework and installed a gas boiler and gas hob at the property in Crosskeys.
On inspection, works carried out by Mr Hare at all properties, were classed as ‘immediately dangerous’, ‘at risk’, ‘not to current standards’ or ‘building regulations non-compliant’ placing the occupants and other members of the public in significant danger due to the potential risk of gas escape, fire, and explosion.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the actions of Mr Hare were fraudulent and deliberate. Trading under various names, he pretended to be Gas Safe registered to convince vulnerable people to engage his services to undertake work that he was not competent to do.
Mr Jordan Hare of Foxberry Close, Pontprennau, Cardiff pleaded guilty to breaching four counts of regulation 3(1), 3(3) and 3 (7) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 along with S22 of the Health and Safety at Work etc, Act 1974. He was given a 10 month custodial sentence suspended for 18 months, ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work, and pay costs of £5,000 and £125 compensation.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Gethyn Jones said: “Jordan Hare undertook gas work which he knew he was not registered to do. All gas work must be done by registered Gas Safe engineers to ensure the highest standards are met to prevent injury and loss of life. Householders should check that the engineer carrying out gas work in their home is registered with Gas Safe.”