Man dies after dumper truck injury on David Wilson Homes site

This post has already been read 9417 times!

A Chippenham man has died after being injured by a dumper truck in Cirencester east Gloucestershire.

The 29-year-old construction worker, who has been named as Shaun Carter, is understood to have died after falling off the vehicle at the construction by Kingshill Lane, next to Corinium Via estate, yesterday afternoon at about 4pm.

Paramedics Police and an ambulance were in attendance but  unfortunately died at the scene.

Ambulance services said that the man suffered cardiac arrest after his head injuries.

A spokesperson for South West Ambulance Service, commented saying: “We received a call at 4pm that a 29-year-old man had come off a vehicle, believed to be some sort of digger.

“When we attended he had suffered head injuries and went into cardiac arrest.

“CPR was carried out at the scene but sadly he was pronounced dead.”

A spokesperson for Barratt Developments, added further: “Yesterday afternoon a sub-contractor working for Tonic Construction at our David Wilson Homes Pembroke Park site in Cirencester was fatally injured whilst the dumper he was operating overturned.

“We are working closely with the HSE and emergency services regarding this incident, and an internal investigation is underway to establish in more detail what occurred.

“Our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to all of the family, friends and co-workers of the operative involved in this tragic incident. All work at Pembroke Park has currently been stopped.”

Police are not treating the incident as suspicious and HSE have been informed.

The next of kin and coroner have been informed and officers are liaising with the Health and Safety Executive in relation to the incident.

Patsy Ward, of Ormand Close in Corinium Via, whose home looks into the construction site, witnessed an air ambulance and police cars at the scene.

The eye witness said : “My daughter came home at about 4.30pm and saw a helicopter from the road. There was one helicopter but a few flashing blue lights. It was quite far away.
“The helicopter stayed a long time, at least an hour, before taking off at about 5.30pm.”

Gloucester Coroner’s Court said that no formal identification had taken place yet and an inquest will not be opened until next week.